Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How are you Giving this Year?



Each year when it comes to donating during the Holidays I find myself being torn in several different directions. Last year we did the Tree of Sharing, Shoeboxes for overseas, and Toys for Tots and of course the Food Bank. The year before was spent helping a single Mother of three after her house burned down right before Thanksgiving.   This year with so many in need I have found myself praying for answers to what we should do.  Today when I came to work my prayers were answered. 

We have the sweetest and kindest cleaning lady that comes in three days a week (Work that is, I wish I could afford a housekeeper).  She has a positive attitude and is very hard working. I found out that money is extremely tight for her family this year and that they were not planning on purchasing any gifts. She said that her 9yr old son understood how tight money was and that he knew not to expect anything. 

After hearing her story I knew that her family would be the family that we helped this year.  I know there are stories like hers everywhere this year.  I also knew that whoever we helped this year would be a family that was working hard to make a better life for themselves. 

My plan is a small gift for her and her husband and some nice toys for their nine year old and of course some groceries.  If anyone has some ideas for their son it would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of touch with Boy toys as my son is a teenager and I'm now raising girls. 

So now I'm asking everyone else, What are your plans for giving this Holiday Season?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love what you're doing. I'm keeping my eyes & ears open for a family to help directly as well.

My oldest boys are 9 & 7, and Legos and K'nex are always great choices. Tech Decks (and their relatives) are really popular right now as well. They're miniature skateboards (and bikes & snowboards) that you "ride" with your fingers. You can find them in any toy section, usually around where the Hot Wheels are. :)

Anonymous said...

I have girls but my nephew loves legos. If you're not going to let her know before hand what you're planning you could work it in a conversation asking questions about her son to get an idea of his likes.

Michele said...

Melissa & Anon,

It's funny to hear that Tech Decks are back again. My son played with those when he was younger, I still have several of them in storage. I agree you can never go wrong with Knex and Legos. Thanks for the ideas.

Michele

Anonymous said...

After many years of giving to "Tree of Sharing" I was discouraged by the expensive gifts that were requested such as "X-Box" and "Play Station". My own children didn't have those. And adult requests were "jewelry, the real stuff" and "a new leather coat". I didn't think using these methods was teaching my children anything. I was also discouraged by the "Toys for tots" when a mother (smoking pks of cigarettes a day) reported she got the toys and sold them for cash. Of course I know not everyone participates like this,but I sought out other avenues for giving such as:
...Veterans Home- trivia books, simple toiletries, razors
...Local Nursing Homes- same, used scarves, hats, gloves, wraps
...homeless sheler for women and children - gently used toys and clothing (once donated the entire lego table with chairs and builders); used story books; gift bags for children w/notepads, color books, crayons, candy, markers.
They welcome simple toiletries that we couponers get for nearly free. Our stretched budgets can stretch even further by using the resources we have. I think Christmas should be about giving all year long. CC