Saturday, December 5, 2009

Is the Grinch stealing your Christmas Spirit?




Wow! Today was Crabby, Cranky, Crazy person day. I've always said that some day when I retire I'm going to write a book about the crazy people that I have had to deal with over the years as a Retail Manager.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy my job 99% of time but some people really know how to push my buttons. I truly believe that everyone should have to work retail for a week.  My friend says that everyone should have to work as a nurse for a week too. 

My drive today started off with a little road rage with a crazy lady in a SUV. Not all women that drive SUV's are crazy. (I drive one and can guarantee you, I am perfectly sane) She must have been annoyed by the little grey haired lady driving 20mph in a 35 because she layed on her horn swerved around me and the poor old lady in front of me and nealy clipped the front of the elderly ladies car.  The elderly woman nearly crashed trying to get out of the crazy SUV ladies way.  To top it off the crazy SUV lady flipped her the bird. 

All of this took place in a matter of seconds while I was belting out the words to Little Drummer Boy.  I was feeling the Christmas spirit but the crazy lady in the SUV surely was not. 

Later I ran by Target to take a quick peak to see if maybe just maybe they had put out a few Zhu Zhu pets.  Of course they had not but I happened to over hear another crazy lady loudly cursing a poor part time associate in the toy aisle.  I have ran into that associate a few times while shopping and new that she was a little slow.  The associate looked very upset her face and neck were all red and blotchy.  Feeling like a mother hen I stepped in and confronted the crazy cursing woman. My husband says that someday I'm going to get myself killed by sticking up for everyone else but I really didn't care at that moment and told her how rude she was.  It felt really good to speak up for the innocent.  As a manager you always have to smoothe things over but I was able tell her how ridiculous she was acting.   When I was leaving another associate thanked me. What people don't realize is how much a bad customer can affect your emotions for the rest of the day. 

Back at work I just noticed how short and impatient people were today. Yes, it's cold outside and I'm sorry we can't always have everything that you would like in stock.  We try our best to find what you are looking for and get it in time for Christmas.  The nicer you are the harder we will try to find what you need. 

So I'm asking everyone to reach inside their hearts and find something kind to say to someone during your next shopping experience.  Forget about the lines or the lack of associates to be found in a store and find your Christmas Spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you for stepping in to help another. I have also seen terrible behavior towards store associates, especially those who tend to be a little bit slow.
I was recently in a check out line and the customer ahead of me was ragging on the associate because something wasn't in stock. This customer was loud and just plain rude. The poor associate just stood there looking stunned. I was next in line and as I approached the associate I quite loudly said "Hi, there, I want to apologize to you for the inappropriate behavior of that customer, some people just can't be nice!" Of course the nasty customer heard me loud and clear. She glared at me, and I gave her a huge smile. She stormed out.
Maybe it was the same person you ran into!. CC

Leah said...

I think it takes alot of courage to step in and tell a complete stranger that their behavior is inappropriate (cursing in the toy department- what was she thinking???) and I really admire that you were brave enough to do so :)I don't know if I would have been :(