Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lunch Meat prices????

Pre packaged meat vs Deli meat

A reader recently told me that she only buys Carl Budding wafer lunch meat because Deli Meat is way too expensive. I didn't think too much of it when she said it until I noticed that a package of Carl Budding lunch meat (.59 each) only has 2 oz of meat in each package. Now if you do the math Carl Budding comes out to be $4.72lb. Wow! That is really expensive for a wafer meat.

I buy my Deli lunch meat at Winco. I stock up when it's on sale for example this week Wilson Black Forest and Honey Ham are on sale for just $1.98lb. This is made from Tyson and we enjoy the flavor. I was able to get $1 1lb Wilson lunch meat coupons a few months ago and decided to save them until the ham was on sale. So this week I was able to get Deli Ham for just .98 cents a lb. A much better deal and better tasting then Carl Budding wafer meat.

My point is always figure out how many ounces are in a package before skipping over the deli department. You may not be saving!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Budding is not my favorite by any means! I always check the packages of pre-sliced deli meat and there are often times reduced stickers on these. I got Some Oscar Meyer turkey for .99 per package after 1/2 coupon at FM the other day. Granite I have a large family and two packages are gone with in 2-3 days so the expiration date is not an issue. Just a thought.

Leah said...

This stratagy definately pays off at Costco where I have learned that in regards to just the basic items, flour, sugar etc, it's actually more expensive to buy it there based on unit price. BTW, have you noticed how packages are getting smaller? The Kraft Cheese that is on sale this week at FM is only 7 ozs. I swear, it used to be 8. I'm noticing this on alot of things now :(

Michele said...

Leah,

I agree with you Costco lunch meat is ridiculous in price. I never buy my lunch meat there either.

Jodee,

Your right if you can find lunch meat reduced and add a coupon it's a great price. I just hardly find reduced lunch meat. Too many couponers. lol :-)

Anonymous said...

I go first thing in the morning, about 0700, that's when Albertsons puts out the discounted lunch meats. I put them in the freezer and they are just fine..... cc