Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fredmeyer run

I thought I was done for the day but then I realized we needed milk. There are several great deals on milk this week. I saw that Rachel at Cloud9couponing had posted a great scenario for free milk and a good deal on cookies so I decided to try it out.
(2) Free Gallons of milk wyb (4) participating items
  • (3) Keebler Cheesecake in the middle cookies (Um Yummy!) $1.79 each
  • - (3) $1.00 Cheesecake cookies (NLA)
  • (1) Club Crackers $2.50
  • - (1) $1.00 Club Crackers 1/24 Parade
  • Final Price $3.87 Thanks Rachel

(6) Gillette Fusion Razors Clearanced $4.49 each

  • -(6) $4.00 Gillette Fusion Razors 2/7 P&G
  • Final price .49 each

(6) La Victoria Salsa $2.29 each

  • -(3) $4/2 La Victoria from La Victoria Rewards
  • (Enter codes off purchased La Victoria for rewards)
  • Final price .29 each

(8) Layers Gum $1.00 each

  • -(8) Layers Gum .75 each
  • Final price .25 each

(2) Mahatma Jasmine rice $2.50 each

  • -(2) Free Mahatma rice (Thanks Leah)
  • Final price Free

Printer paper $4.00 (Gotta print those coupons)

  • -$2.00 Stationary Fredmeyer rewards
  • Final price $2.00

Total oop $12.55

* When I went to check out tonight there was a woman in front of me with an overflowing basket of groceries. I couldn't help but think of all the money this woman could be saving. She had so many items in her cart that there are coupons for. She did have a few coupons that the store had readily available. When the cashier totaled her order it was $394. I wanted to say something to her but I could tell she was embarrassed by how long it had taken to ring up everything and that she was paying with a Quest card. I know you can't force couponing on those that don't want to do the work but can you imagine how much more food she could have for her family each month.

4 comments:

The Keevy Family said...

Wow! Great job! Looks like you did your homework before shopping. :) It all pays off, doesn't it?

I've often thought the same thing about other's grocery carts. It is sad. But even if they are not into couponing, just watching the sales ad and shopping what is on sale would save them so much $$$$$!!

Jane

Leah said...

I started using coupons and learning how to shop frugally way back in the olden days when you got food stamps instead of Qwest cards. It actually taught me how to budget because I knew what I had for the month and had to figure out how to make it last all month. In the end, I had several months worth of foodstamps left over after I no longer qualified and the priceless lesson of how to live within a budget :)

Carol said...

I think it would be great if when you saw people who could be saving a lot of money you just handed them a little card with your website on it with a friendly suggestion that they could pay lot less for the same with coupons. I had no idea what was possible with couponing until very recently and am always so inspired by blogs like yours - so some people just need to get the word. I think if someone had approached me sympathetically and handed me something to look at later, I'd have done it and maybe saved a lot more money a lot earlier! Sometimes you'll probably get an unpleasant response - it's so easy to feel judged even when people are just trying to help! - but you might end up helping even more people that way and growing your readership!

Michele said...

Carol,

I agree with you completely. Normally I would have given her the names of local bloggers. But something about her made me decide to not say a word. I don't know why I'm definitely not a shy person. I just felt like she wanted to be left alone. But you are right I should have some cards made. Thanks. :-)