Sunday, October 25, 2009

Transactions gone bad!



If your new or a seasoned couponer and your finding that your transactions do not always go smoothly your not alone.  I had such a tough week that I started feeling a little discouraged. 

It started off at Target this week.  It literally took the cashier 30 minutes to ring me up.  I had 30 items, 20 manufacturer coupons and 10 Target. She was taking each item out of the bag and trying to match the items up to the coupon.  I was trying to be nice because I could see how flustered and stressed out she was by my coupons (Her neck was completely red and her cheeks were flushed) But I really wanted to get out of there. I suggested that she just scan the coupon and the register would tell her if the coupon did not match up but she didn't want to listen. Finally I waved down the front end Manager to come over and help. (Not sure why she didn't come over herself when the line wasn't moving)  Then the front end manager tried to tell me that I couldn't use the $6.00 Airwick freshner coupon because their price was only $5.99. I had to inform her of her own coupon policy and she of course pushed it through.  I was so frustrated when I got home that I didn't even want to brag that I had gotten $170 worth of product for only $4.50.

My second issue was at Walmart.  I was using 20 coupons on 20 items and the register prompted for a CSR because everything I purchased had a coresponding coupon.  The cashier was very nice and friendly but Walmart has a new system that when a CSR is needed the register is supposed to prompt for the CSR to come to the register. (I guess the register is supposed to automatically page them) Well the system is extremely flawed because after 5 minutes of waiting I had to run down to the CSR podium and tell them that their new system "Stunk" and that I had been waiting for them to turn the key so that I could pay and get out of their store.

My third issue was at Safeway.  I purchased  (4) John Morrell sausages .99 each.  I had a coupon for $1.00 off the sausages but Safeways new policy is that they will not take a coupon for an item that is lower then the value of the coupon. I asked if they could just raise the price of the sausage by .01 and they would not.  I then asked if they could just use 3 of the coupons and they would not do that either. 

My fourth issue was last night at Walgreens. I was trying to use some of my RR but they would not scan. (They needed to change the ink on the Catalina machine) The cashier told me that she couldn't take it because it wouldn't scan.  I asked her to call the manager up because this is their RR.  The Manager proceded to tell me that she couldn't take it either.  I was so annoyed.  I told her that I wanted her District  Managers phone number is the kindest voice I could manage. For some reason she decided to hand enter the Catalinas and they worked. Surprise! Surprise!

I'm telling you this because couponing is not always perfect.  There are lot's of glitches in the system and always new people that have not been trained properly on company policies. Don't get discouraged and give up.  Couponing is one of the greatest ways to save your family money. 

5 comments:

Leah said...

Gosh, was it a full moon this last week or what? Maybe some kind of anti-coupon holiday only cashiers know about....the last couple of weeks have been kind of rough for me too.

I got to get a copy of the letter I received from Safeway to you, because it says that you can use a coupon that is higher, it is suppose to be adjusted down. Im still waiting for clarification regarding that "no coupons higher then 50% of the item price" junk they laid on me last week. It doesn't really mesh with what the letter says, and is frustrating to say the least.

Leah said...

And, I think you should brag about your Target score! $170 in stuff for $4.50 is definately worth showing off :) That was definately worth fighting for.

Unknown said...

I used 11 John Morrell coupons 1/1 and they worked just fine however I was disappointed that the Knorr Rice didn't print a catalina! I have also noticed that sometimes it looks like the cashiers scan the coupons but they don't always go through so 3 times this week I had to go to the CS desk and ask for a refund I hate doing that! Thanks for sharing Michele it makes the rest of us feel better that we are not alone.

Summer said...

I'd also love to see what all you got at Target for $4.50!

I feel your frustrations though. Sometimes I have such problems with coupons, and it's really discouraging. I'm pretty shy and non-confrontational, so it's really hard for me to stand up for myself when cashiers are giving me problems, even when I know I'm doing nothing wrong. Target and Safeway are two stores I rarely use coupons at now because of problems I've had there. That's really ridiculous about Walgreens and the RR, since it was their fault they didn't print well! Glad you got those pushed through!

maygan said...

Sounds like a rough week of couponing! I've had my fair share of transactions like that and it really can get to be too much. Hope your next batch of deals goes much more smoothly!