Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wanted

My Mom and I were joking the other day on how nice it would be to make Wanted Posters for the cashiers who feel they need to make up their own policies on coupons. How funny would it be to snap a picture of them so that we could warn other couponers? Would we just casually hold up our cell phone and snap a picture or would we let the kids play with our camera and have them take a picture of the cashier.

I bring this up because I had "One of those" cashiers today. She had made up her own rules and thought that I would put up with it. So I counted to three and as politely as I could had this conversation with her.

  • Cashier: You can't use more then one RR per transaction.
  • Me: Why not?
  • Cashier: Because that is our policy.
  • Me: Since when?
  • Cashier: It's always been our policy, we are now enforcing it.
  • Me: Do you have that in writing somewhere?
  • Cashier: No, my manager trained us on it this morning.
  • Me: Really? May I speak to your manager?

Manager calls up front and asks cashier what they need.

  • Cashier: I have a lady trying to use more then one RR and she has coupons too.
  • Me: (Feeling very irritated ) Why don't you just scan the coupons and if the register takes it we will know if your right. I just did this same transaction yesterday with no problem. I guess the rules changed overnight. (In the brightest, sweetest voice I could muster)
  • Cashier to manager: She wants me to scan the coupon.
  • Cashier to manager: It's working. It's $1.04
  • Me: Could you ask your manager to come up front?
  • Manager: How can I help you?
  • Me: I feel very frustrated that this transaction had to take 15 minutes when it should have taken about two.
  • Manager: I'm sorry we are having a lot of problems with coupons and RR.
  • Me: I feel that you should error on the side of the customer and not make someone using coupons feel like a criminal. You should train your cashiers to scan the coupons and only question them if the register beeps.
  • Manager: I'm pretty new here. I really don't know what the policy is. I will forward your comments on to the Store Manager.
  • Me: I will too. Have a good day.

I bring this up again because no matter how hard a Manager trains their associates each person is going to interpret the same information differently. Later when I talked to the Store Manager he explained to me that he had trained the cashiers one coupon or RR per item, not transaction. The cashier misunderstood what she had been trained on. Apparently they had cashiers pushing through RR that they should have not taken. It's easy to get angry and loose your temper but if we talk it out and are polite we will all be happy. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I had a coupon nazi or just a new clerk the other day at the Nevada Albertsons. She first sorted the doublers from the coupons, then sorted the coupons into piles, then picked out the item to scan and compared each one to the coupon, then read each coupon softly to herself. I nearly fell asleep. To top it all off, the scanner gave the wrong price for all the salad dressings I bought and over charged me by $11.47. When I pointed it out to her I thought she would faint! So I told her to relax and go on to the next customer and I would just go to customer service to straighten it out. She looked relieved! Albertsons not only refuned my money but gave me the item for free.
Yet the next day I was shopping at the same store I was cautious not to pick that cashier again (I scanned which check out line to use as I had a big order this time). I got a great cashier who rang through over $90 in coupons in short order, didn't matter if it beeped through or not. She was great!

Michele said...

To be honest with you I have started to avoid the Nevada Albertsons because of the issues I continue to have with using coupons. I have spoken with the Store Manager there several times and he has been very willing to make things better for a few months and then they revert back to the same old issues.

Leah said...

I also shy away from the Nevada Albies, I guess the best thing I could say about that store is that they are consistent about giving grief over coupons. Luckily, there are 3 other Albersons just as close and Ive never had any problems in those stores, so I stick to them.